Carlisle EPDM Pressure Sensitive Seam Tape – 3″
- Available in 3″ x 25′ and 3″ x 100′ rolls
- Manufactured using a clear poly film
- Provides excellent long-term splice strength
- Offers greater peel and shear strength than other tapes available in today’s marketplace
1. Overlap the EPDM membranes a minimum 3″ to coincide with the Carlisle EPDM Pressure Sensitive Seam Tape width. Stagger factory seams on dusted EPDM to avoid a double thickness of membrane.
2. The entire membrane surface where Carlisle EPDM Pressure Sensitive Seam Tape will be applied must be clean and free of any residual mica dust or dirt. Carlisle EPDM Pressure Sensitive Seam Tape will not adhere to dusted or dirty surfaces.
a. Remove loose mica dust by brooming or wiping with a clean, dryrag or HP Splice Wipe.
b.The use of Carlisle EPDM Weathered Membrane Cleaner is recommended to allow for roller application of the primer and to enhance adhesion. This process is required on membrane that has been exposed for a number of weeks. Permeation-resistant gloves meeting ANSI/ISEA 105-2005 are required for hand protection when cleaners or primers are being used.
c. Allow the Carlisle EPDM Weathered Membrane Cleaner to flash-off before applying primer.
3. Mark the bottom sheet with a crayon approximately ¼” (6mm) beyond the edge of the top sheet as a guide to install the Carlisle EPDM Pressure Sensitive Seam Tape.
4. Application of HP-250 or Low-VOC Primer
a. Dusted Membrane – After removing the loose mica as noted above, scrub the primer onto the membrane with a clean HP Splice Wipe in a circular motion achieving a thin and even coat that is uniform in color and free of streaks or heavy spots. Change Splice Wipes often.
b. Pre-Kleened™Membrane or membrane cleaned with Carlisle EPDM Weathered Membrane Cleaner – roller-apply the primer to the membrane with a 3⁄8″ (9mm) medium nap paint roller achieving a thin and even coat that is uniform in color and free of streaks or heavy spots.
c. Allow the primer to flash-off until it does not transfer to a dry finger touch. Do not allow the primer to over dry.
d.Install Carlisle EPDM Pressure Sensitive Seam Tape shortly after the primer flashes off to maximize bond strength and minimize potential dust contamination.
5. Unroll 3′ (1 m) of Carlisle EPDM Pressure Sensitive Seam Tape aligning the tape with the set marks. Use firm and even hand pressure to press the tape down to bottom sheet along the length of the splice. Overlap tape roll ends 1″ (25mm). A continuous piece of Carlisle EPDM Pressure Sensitive Seam Tape must be used at all factory seams and field splice intersections.
6. Rolling the Carlisle EPDM Pressure Sensitive Seam Tape with a 2″-wide hand roller after application to the primed substrate will reduce the frequency of air blisters in the completed field seam.
7. Allow the top sheet to fall freely onto the poly backing. Ensure that a minimum of 1⁄8″ (3 mm) to a maximum of ½” (12 mm) of tape extends beyond the top membrane edge. Trim membrane if necessary.
8. Pull the poly backing off at a 45 degree angle and use firm hand pressure across the splice towards the outside splice edge mating the top sheet onto the Carlisle EPDM Pressure Sensitive Seam Tape.
9. Immediately roll across the splice with a 2″ wide roller applying positive pressure.
10. Lap seal at cut edges of reinforced membrane and splice tape overlaps. Carlisle EPDM Lap Sealant may be applied immediately following the completion of a Carlisle EPDM Pressure Sensitive Seam Tape splice.
11. Cold weather installation requirements when temperatures fall below 40°F (5°C):
a. Heat the primed area of the bottom membrane as the Carlisle EPDM Pressure Sensitive Seam Tape is applied and pressed into place.
b. The tape must be rolled with a 2″ wide hand roller prior to removal of the release liner when temperatures fall below 20°F (-7°C).
c. Prior to rolling the splice area with a 2″ wide hand roller, apply heat to the topside of the membrane with a hot-air gun. The heated surface should be hot to the touch.
12. Techniques when using large sheets with factory seam step-offs.
a. Remove excess mica dust from the factory seam step-off using extra care and utilize extra scrubbing of the primer into the step-off.
b. Crease the Carlisle EPDM Pressure Sensitive Seam Tape into the factory seam step-off with the edge of the hand roller and then crease the top membrane into the step-off after setting the top membrane.